If you’re on Facebook, you may have noticed a little game going around where your friends disclose
their favorite color of underwear a list of random facts about themselves in a post. If you “Like” the friend’s post (meaning, you like getting to know the person better or merely want to acknowledge you saw their soul-bearing post), your friend will send you a number and you, in turn, are to post that many random facts about yourself.
Up until last week, I avoided “liking” any of these posts. Not because I’m anti-social. Not because I’m a party pooper. It’s because I’m already an open book, leaving very few random facts to be shared. And, really, sometimes knowing too much about a person can tarnish their luster. Right?
Then one day, while
wasting time in the black hole of FB catching up with friends, I unintentionally liked the “random facts” posts of two friends, because they were fun. I mean, I know I have some cool friends, but would you have guessed that Lisha, over at The Lucky Mom, has shot an alligator?! And that, like me, another friend would rather sit at the kid’s table during holiday meals. (OK, there are probably several of us that would admit to that.) So, I liked their posts and, in turn, I was given (ironically, by both) the number 10.
I suppose I could thank them, because I had thought about doing a “random facts” (read: filler) type of post during this NaBloPoMo month, and now I can double-dip. What a random concept! So, without further delay, and in no particular order, here are 10 things you may or may not know about me:
1. My favorite color is red. My day planner, phone case, laptop cover, and Kindle cover are all red. I have red accents throughout my house, and in high school, my boyfriend called me “Red.” But, I’ve never owned a red car.
2. I have a secret fetish for organizational stuff and, out of fear of bankruptcy, stay away from The Container Store.
3. I started riding horses in grade school and the only time I was ever thrown happened when I was giving a lesson. To my boss’s son. While my boss watched. I never gave him a second lesson.
4. I used to smoke. A lot. Up to 2 packs a day. I started when I was in high school. It’s a filthy habit! And expensive. I quit 7 years before I ever got pregnant for the children I knew I wanted to have “someday.” Today, I can’t stand the smell of cigarettes.
5. My father died from lung cancer. Smoking is one of the very few (perhaps only) regrets in my life.
6. I love, love, love antique stores, flea markets, and thrift stores. They are teeming with buried treasure, and I love a good hunt.
7. I probably own as many books that I haven’t read as have read. I’m working my way through them, but given my love of thrift stores and book sales, I doubt I will ever read every book I own.
8. I was a school library aide when I was in the 5th and 6th grade and there, I developed a bizarre obsession with card catalogs. I curse online search engines for their obsolescence. Someday, I will own a card catalog and catalog all the books in our family library; if for no other reason, to look up all the books I haven’t read.
9. My favorite beach weather is grey and misty. I will gladly walk for hours along the shore, hair frizzing and hands frozen, when the sun is hidden behind a thick blanket of grey clouds. My husband calls it “Mary weather.”
10. Speaking of my husband, I think we were predestined. I said “no” the first time he asked me out. A year later, I invited him to dinner. 4 years later, on our anniversary, he proposed and I changed the subject, not realizing what he had asked. Needless to say, I changed the subject back when my brain caught up with my ears. Two years into our marriage we realized our paths had crossed several years before we officially met. (There’s actually so much more to this story…enough for its very own post. Someday, the rest will be revealed.)
Well, there’s my 10. Now it’s your turn. Share (at least) 1 random fact about yourself in the comments. I promise you abundance beyond your imagination. In fun, that is.